Zero waste items I love: pt. 2

If you didn't catch my first part be sure to read it here!

I have been transitioning to a zero waste life for a few months now. It has been both an easy road and a tough road. Sometimes it is easy to find a zero waste solution to your needs but sometimes it is really hard to figure out what to do. Here is the second half of my list of items that has made the transition easy.

Feminine Hygiene Products
Let's be honest, feminine hygiene products produce a lot of waste. Between the wrappers and the actual product, you are creating so much unnecessary trash. Plus some of the chemicals used when making the items are really bad for you. So what's the solution? Menstrual cups and cloth pads!

I know, I know they sound really gross but they aren't! I have been using cloth pads for a few months now and I don't think I can ever go back. I am not a fan of tampons so I haven't used the alternatives but I will list some that I have heard a lot of good things about.

For cloth pads, I went with GladRags. They have cute designs and they make a plus size version. Thank you Jesus. They are super easy to use and convenient. The kits make it cheaper and easier to get started and if it is your first time on the site you can get a panty liner for around $7! You just have to sign up for their email list. I would do that anyway because they put their kits on sale pretty often. You can also use the code GRA1714 to get $5 off an order of $35 or more PLUS free shipping from GladRags!

You can also get cloth pads from my other favorite store, Tiny Yellow Bungalow! We will talk about them later but she just started carrying cloth pads and I am really excited to try them.

Not a pad fan? GladRags sells cups too! I was excited to see my local Walmart carries Diva Cups now! It is nice to see zero waste items making their way mainstream.

Water Bottles
Before I was zero waste I drank water from water bottles pretty exclusively. I love sparkling water and my favorite came in plastic bottles. I decided I needed to not drink sparkling and just stick with flat so I bought a charcoal filter from Tiny Yellow Bungalow. TYB is an online store that sells a lot of really awesome zero waste items. I bought the big charcoal filter and I love it.

We use the charcoal filter in a glass drink dispenser left over from a few open houses I hosted. We just fill up the container every night (or sometimes every morning depending on who is doing it) and let it sit in the water for 24 hours and viola, clean water. Every month we boil it for a little bit to open the pores back up and after 4-5 months we will get a new one. The old one will be used in the fridge for stinky smells.

Toothbrush
You don't think about your toothbrush often. It is something you use twice a day and forget about but it has a lot of plastic. You are supposed to change your toothbrush every three months but let's be real, who does that! I remember to do it every six months but with my recent oral issues I change mine quite a bit more. Since I was changing it all the time I needed something that was zero waste and affordable.

Tiny Yellow Bungalow comes in again! I bought a bamboo toothbrush and I love it. Best part is you can get a four pack for pretty inexpensive. Yes, they cost more than a traditional brush but this one is sustainable and you can compost it! Even the packaging can be composted. I use this with my homemade toothpaste (I talk about it here) and my mouth has never been better! Okay that isn't exactly true but that has nothing to do with my toothbrush lol.

There you have it! Three more items that have helped my live a more zero waste life. These are super easy changes and I hope you will look into them. While I do link to the items I talked about, I am not paid to promote them (unless they want to!) and all opinions are mine. If you have other zero waste ideas I haven't thought about let me know!

*Side note - I wrote this months before I heard that I was chosen to be a GladRags Ambassador! I still am not getting paid to talk about GladRags but I wanted to warn you that this was actually all a coincidence! But seriously, check out GladRags.