Buying Secondhand Clothing is Rough

One of the goals I made when I decided to reduce my waste was to not buy any new clothing. I was hoping to make my own clothing or buy only second hand. This has lead to some interesting shopping trips and made me realize how hard this "simple" challenge was going to be. At least how hard it was going to be for me.



I am not much of a clothing shopper. If I had to choose between spending $50 on a new pair of shoes or $50 in extra groceries, I would always choose groceries. Not that I don't love new shoes but I think my money can go further with food than shoes. I wasn't spending a lot of money on clothing anyway. I usually only bought something when Forever 21 (who has really cheap clothing anyway) had a great sale.

But looking at my closet I realized I have a lot of clothing that I either don't wear anymore or I bought and never even wore! I found a shirt, with tags, that I can't even remember buying. I tend to wear the same five dresses that are neutral enough that I can pair them with lots of different colored leggings and make it seem like new. But I was getting bored and wanted to shop.

Being a bigger girl means I find it hard to find cute clothing anyway but limiting myself to secondhand or making my own clothing was a lot harder than it should be. I found thredup.com and bought a few things but they don't have a great plus selection. It depends on what is sent to them and judging by reviews I think most people don't want to send in their $30 Torrid tee if they are only getting back $2.

I have looked at thrift stores in my area but there hasn't been much in the plus size department. I work in advertising and sales so I meet with clients. I can't just wear jeans and tees all the time so I needed to find something business casual but nice...and secondhand. I finally found a few items at garage sales but nothing too fancy. This was a lot tougher than I planned.

As for making my own clothing, my grandmother taught me to sew over 20 years ago so I don't remember much. My best friend's brother-in-law is a tailor and he agreed to sew me some cute and simple dresses. He lives in San Francisco so it will be tough but he said he can measure me when he comes back in a few months. I am excited to see what he can do!

I guess this post originally was going to be about my successes in shopping secondhand but quickly turned into a post about me being sad. I haven't bought anything "new" except for a few pairs of basic leggings from Forever 21. I need some new shoes for work but I do want to get them secondhand so I am still looking around. If you know of any good places to get secondhand plus size clothing let me know!!